Chelsea
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ancelotti - No Blues signings
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 9:59 am by Admin

» Ancelotti - No Blues signings
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 9:58 am by Admin

» Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptySat Dec 26, 2009 9:56 am by Admin

» Birmingham v Chelsea preview
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:38 am by Admin

» Ivanovic set for new deal
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:36 am by Admin

» Kalou wants England showdown
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:35 am by Admin

» Harry - Keane going nowhere
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:34 am by Admin

» Ancelotti hails personality
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 11:32 am by Admin

» West Ham 1-1 Chelsea
Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 8:49 am by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Affiliates
free forum

Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0

Go down

Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0 Empty Birmingham 0 Chelsea 0

Post  Admin Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:56 am

90 It's all over and Birmingham have held on for an impressive 0-0 draw with Chelsea and as a result go 10 games unbeaten in the top flight for the first time since 1908. The visitors will feel frustrated with a point having created so many chances throughout this compelling encounter at St Andrews but Birmingham deserved a share of the spoils for all their defensive efforts and the heroics of goalkeeper Joe Hart.

90 Drogba swings the cross into the box but Hart makes a commanding catch.

90 Kalou produces some fancy footwork to find some space down the right but his dangerous cross is headed behind by Roger Johnson.

90 There are three minutes of stoppage time remaining and it's 10-man Chelsea doing all the attacking right now.

90 Damien Johnson, who hasn't played since May, blasts a shot from 25 yards but it goes well wide of the post.

90 Chelsea attack down the right but a cross into the area is palmed away by the impressive Hart.

90 There will be six minutes of stoppage time so still plenty of time for either side to sneak a winning goal.

90 Fahey is given the ball on the left corner of the box but his curling effort is comfortably saved by Cech.

89 Malouda is sent off after a second bookable offence for a challenge on Carr. It was a needless challenge and now Chelsea have to play the last minute plus stoppage time with 10 men.

89 Birmingham make a substitution with Larsson limping off the field to be replaced by Damien Johnson.

88 Terry floats a long ball forward but Drogba is caught offside and Chelsea's frustration is beginning to tell.

87 Belletti is fuming when he's penalised for bringing down Bowyer but it doesn't change the fact that Birmingham have a free kick in their own half to run down the clock a little.

86 A bandaged up Hart is back on his feet and the game can resume.

85 Chelsea make a change with Mikel being replaced by Michael Ballack.

Elliot Phillips, 10, from South Wales says: "So far Chelsea's form without a few players is quite bad I don't think that Chelsea won't have a easy time without the key players when they go off to the African Cup of Nations. That's why they need to make a few big signings in afew days time, especially with the transfer ban looming. Anyway Chelsea need to pick up the pace in this game as it is a must-win so my prediction is 1-0 to Chelsea with Lampz to score in the last few minutes."

83 Hart actually stays down because he took an accidental boot in the face from Drogba and there appears to be some blood.

82 Carr almost costs his side nearly with an unwise diving header back to his goalkeeper and Hart only just manages to get there before Drogba.

81 Time is running out for Chelsea to find a winning goal but I'm sure these last nine minutes will take forever from a Birmingham point of view.

80 Ivanovic advances down the right but his low cross is blocked by Barry Ferguson, who continues to excel in a defensive role.

79 Chelsea make another change with Lampard being replaced by Joe Cole.

79 Ivanovic is shown the yellow card after a deliberate foul in midfield and he doesn't complain.

77 Birmingham make a change with Keith Fahey coming on to replace McFadden.

76 Chelsea are now back on the front foot and win a corner but it comes to nothing and Birmingham fans can breathe again.

75 Now it's Jerome who uses a turn of pace to surge into the area at the other end but his shot is blocked by Terry

75 Chelsea come forward on the counter with Drogba, who embarks on a powerful run inside the area but Birmingham crowd him out and Carr clears.

74 Birmingham have a free kick from around 25 yards out but Larsson's effort hits the wall.

73 The corner is played short for Lampard who tries his luck with an audacious attempt from a tight angle but Hart shovels it away at his near post.

72 Kalou is put clean through on goal but his shot when one-on-one is fabulously saved by Hart, who tips the ball behind for a corner.

71 Bowyer is shown the yellow card and it appears to be for an off the ball incident.

70 Somehow Birmingham survive after Malouda spurns a golden chance when completely fluffing a volley from close range with just the goalkeeper to beat.

69 Kalou looks to make an instant impact as he weaves his way down the right wing but his pass is then fired well over by Lampard.

68 Chelsea make a change with Salomon Kalou coming on for Sturridge.

68 The following corner finds Drogba but he puts the ball well over the bar and the danger passes.

68 A devilish cross into the area is met by Belletti and his first-time shot is deflected by Bowyer behind for another corner.

67 Hart can't prevent a deflected cross going behind for a corner and Chelsea will look to pile on the pressure.

Tom Pham has emailed in to say: "I'm 14 from Australia and I'm a Chelsea fan staying up to watch Chelsea play. Birmingham have been in good form, but Chelsea will be the team to stop their unbeaten streak. Chelsea will win this one in the second half 3-0. Sturridge will score a brace and Lampard will finish off!"

66 The cross into the box is a low one and Lampard is able to hack the ball away.

65 Bowyer has a crack at goal from the edge of the box but it deflects off Alex and goes behind for a corner.

64 Fortunately the goalkeeper is back on his feet and is fine to continue. The corner is then taken but Chelsea easily clear their lines.

63 Cech stays down having crashed against the post and the game has to halt while he receives treatment.

62 Larsson bends a wonderful shot over the wall and it looks destined for the top corner until Cech pushes it behind for a corner.

61 Malouda is shown the yellow card after his late tackle brings Benitez to ground around 20 yards from goal.

60 Ivanovic sends a cross into the box from the right but Carr is there to punt the ball clear.

59 The visitors work the ball forward swiftly but strong defending from Johnson thwarts Lampard as he looks to make his way inside the box.

58 Benitez twists and turns inside the area before making a yard of space in which to shoot, but his firm effort is headed away by Terry.

57 Chelsea are in urgent mood to keep the game flowing but the longer the game stays 0-0 we can expect them to become rather frantic.

56 Chelsea now have a free kick on the left side of midfield but the cross into the box is headed away by Larsson.

55 The resulting corner is taken by Malouda but Alex's header drifts wide of the mark. He should have done better.

54 Cole gets free down the left side of the box but just as he's about to shoot Johnson comes in with a crucial sliding tackle.

Paul Keane brings us his verdict on Benitez's disallowed goal. He says: "Looking at the replay, it was not even close to borderline. Not alone was Drogba playing Benitez onside, but Benitez was actually behind the ball when it was played. So Drogba was totally irrelevant to the play. And, it's not really up to the linesman to decide Drogba's status, if the ref deemed him to be injured it is up to him to halt play - not the linesman. Given Drogba's reputation, it was nice to see the ref allow play to continue and would have been wonderfully ironic if his acting had cost Chelsea the goal."

53 Larsson takes it but drills his effort into the first man Mikel, who probably wasn't even 10 yards away!

52 Birmingham have a free kick around 40 yards out but they will use it to get bodies forward.

51 Birmingham are holding their defensive line stoutly and Chelsea are finding it more difficult to get forward right now.

50 Larsson's delivery is an out-swinger this time but still Chelsea are able to clear their lines.

49 Birmingham have the first corner of the second half following strong play from Jerome.

Paul in South Africa has got in touch to say: "Born in Birmingham 1964, came to South Africa in 1969, by birth and City supporter, the highest festive period position we have had for many years. One game at a time, every point counts, but we do need to improve our goal difference."

48 Birmingham also make their attacking intentions clear with a break down the left but Chelsea are able to get the resulting cross away.

47 Straight from the restart Drogba looks to latch onto a long ball into the area but Hart is there to make the claim.

46 Chelsea get the second half under way and if both teams continue to produce free flowing attacking football then it's only a matter of time before the deadlock is broken.

Jude Dike remains a confident Chelsea fan, and says: "I'm a Chelsea fan that's got a lot of respect for what Birmingham has done recently but still give the game to the true and real blues - Drogba, Sturridge, Lampard."

Adam Pearce says: "Realistic Chelsea fan here, I think if anybody thought the we would walk into St.Andrews and have an easy ride, they are really not in touch with the game at all. Great first half, I could see it going either way 1-0." Meanwhile Alex from Birmingham fumes: "We need stronger refs who are not affraid of making tough decisions against the big four!"

Chelsea are 8/11 favourites to win this game with Sky Bet, who make Birmingham 11/2 and the draw 13/8. My original tip of 1-0 to Birmingham is still on the cards but it's now been cut to just 7/1. Drogba is 4/1 to score the first goal while Benitez and Jerome are the shortest priced Birmingham players at 14/1. Head now to www.skybet.com to place your bets.

Chika Charles Aniekwe says: "I am a Chelsea fan and I think we are not playing badly today but the set piece effect is still playing in the minds of the players. I hope we get a goal first otherwise if it is the other way round, we might end up loosing this one. We miss Anelka though, Sturridge is good but I think either Anelka or Drogba would gave scored from his three chances so far. I predict a win for Chelsea 1-0"

45 The half-time whistle sounds and remarkably this match remains goalless despite an abundance of chances for both sides at St Andrews. Birmingham will feel they should be leading after Benitez's goal was controversially ruled out but Chelsea have dominated the game and been denied by some superb saves from Hart.

45 Drogba gets clear down the right wing before whipping a fantastic ball across the face of goal but Sturridge puts his volley wide.

45 Chelsea have a free kick on the right which Malouda swings into the box for Belletti to head straight at Hart.

45 There will be two minutes of stoppage time to play at the end of the half.

44 As we approach the half-time break, Chelsea are enjoying the lion's share of possession as they look to break the deadlock.

Chelsea fan TJ Katty says: "Birmingham have had a good run but Chelsea can win hands down." Well I have to say on this evidence Chelsea should be ahead but Birmingham are digging their heels in and have created chances of their own. And of course the disallowed goal will be source of big debate later on.

Gareth, a Birmingham fan, says: "Surprise surprise Chelsea fans EXPECT to win as usual ignoring the form of the opposition and their own problems."

42 Jerome races forward at pace on the counter attack but Terry gets across way to make an important challenge.

41 The Brazilian defender charges up to the ball before drilling a piledriver of a shot which crashes against the bar! The whole goal frame was shaking but crucially the ball stayed out of the net.

40 Chelsea have been awarded a free kick around 35 yards out and Alex has got his eyes on this one.

39 It's end-to-end stuff right now and I'd say it's as good a 0-0 as you're likely to see. This time Chelsea charge forward only for Drogba to foul Dann inside the box with both men looking to get to a cross first.

38 At the other end Benitez is seemingly pulled back by Mikel as he looks to burst into the area to chase a long ball but the referee doesn't award a free kick, much to the anger of the home fans.

37 Sturridge gets down the right but his curling cross is plucked out of the air by Cech.

36 The second of which results in a real scramble inside the box but Chelsea just manage to get the ball clear.

35 Birmingham are hungry to attack right now and win a couple of corners in succession down the right.

34 Birmingham advance down the right on the counter with Bowyer, who swings a cross into the box for Ridgewell but his looping header goes over the bar.

33 Chelsea break down the other end at pace but Drogba slices his shot from the right side of the box well wide of the post.

32 Birmingham are not happy with the decision because they think Drogba, who was on the floor injured at the time, was playing Benitez onside. The replays suggest it's a borderline call while there is a question as to whether Benitez was level with Ridgewell anyway.

31 Larsson's in-swinging delivery is punched away by Cech but the danger isn't over yet. Stephen Carr then launches a long ball into the area, which is headed down by Dann for Liam Ridgewell to square across the face of goal for Benitez, who slots it into an open net. But the offside flag is raised.

30 McFadden is fouled on the left wing by Belletti and Birmingham will use this free kick to get bodies into the box.

29 The cross comes into the box but Birmingham manage to clear their lines. The hosts are clinging on right now.

28 Lampard finds himself in space inside the area but his ferocious volley is saved by Hart, who used his lightning reactions to palm it away for a corner.

27 It's a clever free kick down the right side of the area for Roger Johnson, but his header into the danger zone is cleared away.

26 Lee Bowyer goes down around 35 yards from goal and this is a decent opportunity for Birmingham.

25 There's only been 13 goals scored at St Andrews all season - the lowest tally of any ground in the top four divisions - so it's no surprise to see this game still 0-0. That said Chelsea are playing some cracking football and are getting closer to opening the scoring.

24 Chelsea's corner is headed behind by Birmingham for another one. This time the cross finds Alex, who heads into Hart's arms.

23 Ashley Cole races into the area before being tackled, but the ball breaks for Sturridge who sees his powerful drive tipped round the post by Hart. Superb save.

22 Drogba blasts a stinging volley just wide of the post following a curling cross from Ivanovic.

21 Chelsea keep up the momentum and whip in a cross from the right which Sturridge weakly heads into Hart's arms.

Duncan says: "It just shows how brittle confidence in football is. Three weeks ago we Chelsea fans were licking our lips at the Xmas fixtures. Now we think we will struggle to get points at brum and against fulham. We need to play with energy and tempo to impose our quality on these teams."

20 Chelsea are looking menacing on the attack with their free flowing football but so far Birmingham are proving they are up to the test.

19 McFadden gets down the left but curls his cross over the bar and a potential opportunity is lost.

18 Sturridge floats a lovely cross from the left edge of the box towards the far post but Belletti puts his shot from a tight angle into the side netting.

17 Lampard tries his luck from distance but his shot flies high over the bar, much to the relief of the home fans.

Chelsea fan Tony Biggles says: "Birmingham have been playing really well lately and will certainly give Chelsea a good game, but I think Carlo Ancelotti has so much quality in the team this year and even though they have a few injuries, Chelsea will win 2-0."

16 Chelsea swiftly break up the other end and win a corner, although it results in a tame Alex header which Hart easily claims.

15 Sebastian Larsson goes for goal with the set piece but he blasts his effort against the wall and the danger passes.

14 Benitez shows quick feet in midfield to get away from John Terry before being brought down around 25 yards out by Alex to earn Birmingham a free kick.

Raphael Muriithi says: "I am a Chelsea fan from Nairobi capital city of Kenya.I know today Chelsea will bounce back to their winning trend. I predict 2-0.The first goal being scored by Didier and second by Lampard. All the best Chelsea and show Man U that you are capable."

13 The subsequent corner brings about a bit of a scramble inside the box but in the end Petr Cech is there to collect the ball.

12 Birmingham get on the front foot down the left side with James McFadden and his cross is deflected behind for a corner.

11 It's a great delivery into the box and Ivanovic's header just flashes over the bar.

10 Daniel Sturridge looks to get on the end of a through ball inside the area but Hart gets their first to scoop it behind for a corner.

9 Birmingham have acquitted themselves well during these early stages but they have set their stall out in defence.

Mark Kashisnky says: "I'm a Chelsea fan too and i reckon we should win this. It'll be close but if we start defending then we shud win this. I reckon we'll see two goals from Drogba today."

8 Branislav Ivanovic has a shot for Chelsea but it's pretty dreadful and goes well wide of the target.

Emails are flooding it at the moment. Kevin Moore says: "Chelsea need to take up the challenge now for the crunch part of the season. The youngsters have to perform at Birmingham and on Monday versus Fulham and the experienced squad need to show their quality if they are to win trophies. We know they can do it, however, will they buy in the transfer window to supplement the team?"

6 Juliano Belletti has the ball inside the area following a lovely pass from Didier Drogba, but Birmingham defend stoutly and crowd him out.

5 Chelsea are passing the ball confidently and look sharp in possession, despite that early scare.

4 Chelsea keep up the pressure but after a fine team move Malouda fires a low cross straight at Joe Hart.

3 The visitors take it short to Florent Malouda but his subsequent cross is headed away by Scott Dann.

3 Chelsea win the first corner of the game in front of their own supporters thanks to good work from Frank Lampard.

2 A long ball over the top is chased into the area by Cameron Jerome, who beats Alex for pace but fires his shot from a tight angle high over the bar.

1 Birmingham get us under way here at St Andrews as they look to stretch their unbeaten run to 10 games. They haven't put that sort of run together in the top flight for over 100 years!

Liam Bryan is quick to email in before kick-off, saying: "Hey Chris, I'm a Chelsea fan and unfortunately I think Birmingham will nick this 2-1. Chelsea need a good kick to start playing how we know they can play!"

Of course if you want to have your say throughout today's game at St Andrews then the address you need is christopher.hammer@bskyb.com

Despite their great form, Birmingham can be backed at 6/1 with Sky Bet to beat Chelsea today while the visitors are 8/15 and the draw 11/4. I think the upset is on the cards today and with the hosts boasting such a fine defensive record at St Andrews - just five goals conceded in nine games - the 14/1 about a 1-0 victory is extremely tempting. That said the favourites to score the first goal of the game are all Chelsea players. Sky Bet make Didier Drogba 10/3, Frank Lampard 11/2 and Daniel Sturridge 13/2 while Birmingham duo Cameron Jerome and Christian Benitez are 9/1 and 12/1 respectively. Head now to www.skybet.com to place your bets.

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti hands Daniel Sturridge his first Premier League start today. Sturridge, whose father Michael and uncle Simon are former Birmingham players, gets the nod in the absence of injured France striker Nicolas Anelka, while Brazilian centre-half Alex replaces Ricardo Carvalho, with the Portugal international among the substitutes. Birmingham are unchanged for the seventh successive game, with Roger Johnson (knee) and Liam Ridgewell (ankle) recovering from minor knocks suffered in the 1-1 draw at Everton last weekend. Today's referee is Peter Walton from Northamptonshire.

The Birmingham team is: Hart, Carr, Roger Johnson, Dann, Ridgewell, Larsson, Ferguson, Bowyer, McFadden, Jerome, Benitez. Subs: Maik Taylor, Phillips, Fahey, McSheffrey, Damien Johnson, Carsley, Vignal.

The Chelsea team is: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Alex, Ashley Cole, Belletti, Mikel, Malouda, Lampard, Drogba, Sturridge. Subs: Hilario, Carvalho, Joe Cole, Ballack, Zhirkov, Paulo Ferreira, Kalou.

Welcome to this afternoon's Boxing Day commentary between in-form Birmingham and Premier League leaders Chelsea at St Andrews. The hosts have won six and drawn three of their last nine games while their last defeat came way back on October 17 against Arsenal at the Emirates, where they lost 3-1, so Chelsea will have their work cut out if they're to pick up all three points today. Carl Ancelotti's men hold a four-point lead at the top over Manchester United, who play tomorrow, but in they have not won away from home since beating the Gunners 3-0 at the end of last month

Admin
Admin

https://chelsea-fc.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down